Like many people, I shop in a health food store because I believe the quality of the products will be better than in a conventional grocery store. And I’m willing to pay for it. While I imagine these products come from family farms, free-range cows and beer fermented in small batches, I know my images are outdated. For the most part, products in your health food stores come from the Big Food companies. Believe it or not their products dominate the store shelves. Here’s what I’ll be discussing in this podcast:
· Kellogg’s, Colgate and Pepsico now own some of your favorite natural products
· Small company products removed from stores in favor of products made by large corporations
I’ve created this podcast, because I’m frustrated by the lack of transparency when buying natural products. In the following episodes, I’ll be visiting your health food store to explore everything from supplements to meats to cheeses to snacks. In addition, I’ll be talking with folks who produce quality products that may never make it onto the shelves.
You pay good money to shop in a health food store, I’m here to discover what you’re really getting.
LINKS FROM THIS PODCAST
* Cornucopia Institute does research and investigations on agricultural and food issues and provides needed information to family farmers, consumers and other stakeholders in the good food movement and to the media.
* Cornucopia video on cereal
* Gary Erickson of Clif Bar – interview on NPR Oct 2016
* Gary Erickson’s book RAISING THE BAR